How do you make a hybrid even more green? It’s simple … rip out the conventional gasoline tank and replace it with a compressed natural gas (CNG) delivery system. At SEMA 2009, Toyota took a step up from the CNG-converted Yaris shown at SEMA last year, with a CNG-converted Camry Hybrid prepared for the Surfrider Foundation.
Surfrider’s CNG Camry Hybrid rolls on 20-inch rims wrapped with Toyo Proxy 4 tires. Ride height has been dropped with an adjustable coil over suspension. The custom front bumper features tweaked grilles, while the rear bumper hides the exhaust system. Dual CNG tanks are mounted under the trunk floor. Toyota tapped Metal Crafters to handle the CNG conversion, with Street Image tackling the cosmetic work.
- by Daniel Gray
November 13th, 2009
- Toyota Camry Gas Mileage
- Subaru Forester Mountain Rescue Concept @ SEMA 08
- Toyota Highlander Hybrid MPG Review
- Nissan Altima Hybrid MPG Review
- Toyota Camry Hybrid MPG Review
- Hummer Goes Gasoline-Free
- 2013 VW Jetta Hybrid First Drive