How far would you drive to land in the Guinness Book of World Records?
How about 8,000 miles?
As we reported earlier this month, John and Helen Taylor are in the midst of driving through the contiguous 48 states, in the hopes of setting a new Guinness world’s record for the lowest fuel consumption on a cross-country voyage.
To date, the Taylors have averaged 59.42 miles per gallon (MPG) in their clean diesel 2009 Volkswagen Jetta TDI. The trek began on September 3rd in Chantilly, Virginia and ended its first leg in Santa Monica, California, with 5,499 miles driven in twelve days, at a cost of $362.44.
The full trip is expected to take 24 days, winding up in West Virginia.
Guinness specifies that a minimum of 15 miles must be driven in each state and that the vehicle be a stock production unit, with no modifications, whatsoever. Photographic evidence must be taken of the entire trip. This is the first time that Guinness has allowed the use of a GPS navigation unit.
The Taylors advocate safe fuel efficient driving, starting with the basics:
- gentle acceleration
- gentle deceleration
- get into highest gear as soon as you possibly can
- drive smoothly
- drive in a straight line (avoid weaving in and out of traffic)
- stay calm (an agitated driver uses more fuel)
- leave space between your car and the car in front of you
- preparation (i.e.: proper tire inflation)
- plan where you’re going (chart out your route to shorten it)
- drive 5 MPH under the speed limit
- try to set your own individual record (see how far you can go on a tank of fuel)
As a clean diesel, the 2009 Jetta TDI is eligible for a $1300 Alternative Motor Vehicle Federal Tax Credit … that’s enough fuel money for roughly four cross-country trips.
September 17th, 2008
- VW Jetta TDI Sets New World Record: 58.82 MPG
- Dueling Cross Country Tours Raise Diesel’s Profile
- Fuel Mileage – How High Can It Go?
- NY to LA Biodiesel Trek Completed in Record Time
- VW Sets Land Speed Record with Jetta Hybrid
- Volkswagen Jetta Sportwagen TDI Review
- Volkswagen Jetta Gas Mileage